Friday 13 May 2011

An Unfortunate Incident

I haven't heard anything from the job I've applied for, as the closing date was now two weeks ago I'm assuming that I'm not getting an interview. Never mind, on to the next one!

It's Friday, which this week was a great relief as it's the first full week I've had to work in a while. I was knackered this afternoon, motivation was seriously lacking! I bought something exciting for my tea, as a treat for getting through the week, came home, and decided to do a headstand. This, it turns out, was a particularly bad idea. I carefully lined my head up in a triangle with my hands (as I was taught at primary school, I'm nothing if not obedient) and carefully raised my legs into the air. Success! I straightened my legs feeling ridiculously proud of myself. Unfortunately I had forgotten that the direction was most likely to fall in was away from where I started. As a consequence I'd decided to do this miraculous headstand right next to the chest of drawers I use as a kitchen worktop (the joys of living in a bedsit), I fell neatly into it, and the mechanical pencil sat on the edge of the worktop managed to bury itself into my little toe.

I'm not good with blood, or more specifically I'm not good with my blood. I turned my foot over and could see blood bubbling out from under the flap of skin left from where the pencil went in. At this point I knew that I was in trouble, I was having visions of having to call my friends, and get them to take me to the accident unit and then explain to the nurse exactly how I managed to injure myself. I scrabbled around for a plaster large enough to envelop my toe, all the while dripping blood on the floor, finally remembering that I had stuck them all in my wash bag last time I went abroad. I stuck one around my toe and then sat there staring at it, slightly afraid that the blood would start pouring out of it, soaking it in an instant and necessitating stitches. Fortunately it didn't, I am now on my second plaster and blood is still seeping through a bit, but it's not half as bad as it was. Note to self: Headstands are bad for you, and not in the way you might think.

1 comment:

  1. Have you considered getting a tetnus shot for that?

    ReplyDelete